South West Sydney Research Council: Community Representatives
South West Sydney Research is seeking expressions of interest from enthusiastic community representatives for their governing Council. Our purpose is to facilitate south western Sydney being internationally recognised as a leader in health and medical research that improves outcomes. Community representatives are vital members of the Council and contribute to decision making on strategic direction and initiatives to support health research across the district.
If you have an interest in contributing to the development of research in south western Sydney and have no current affiliation with any of our member organisations (see a list of current member organisations here), we would like to hear from you. The Council meets every second month; with meetings currently scheduled on a Wednesdays between 1:00-3:00pm (days and times may change in the future).
Requirements of the role
South West Sydney Research’s purpose is to facilitate south western Sydney being internationally recognised as a leader in health and medical research that improves outcomes. To achieve this, the goals of the Council are:
- To build the reputation of south western Sydney for research and to be recognised nationally and internationally
- To build capacity in research relevant to the local community
- To develop and implement the Research Strategy
- To build research and translational research capacity and facilitate efficient implementation of health and medical research findings
- To create an ethos that embeds research into health care delivery
- To set research priorities and to review research performance
- To build a federation of health organisations that will create opportunities and encourage engagement, knowledge transfer and collaboration among clinicians, researchers, commercial companies, health services, consumers and other key stakeholders
- To improve competitive advantage in securing other funds
Community representatives are vital members of the Council and contribute to decision making on strategic direction and initiatives to support health research across the district. It would be desirable for the Community Representative to have an interest in contributing to South West Sydney Research’s goals and a willingness to discuss matters from their own individual experience as well as representing consumer perspectives on health research. As such, Community Representatives would be expected to make contact and liaise with community organisations and committees within the south western Sydney area, as appropriate. In order to ensure independence of interests, the Community Representatives should have no existing affiliations with any South West Sydney Research member organisations.
- Displays integrity: is ethical, committed, diligent, prepared, organised, professional, principles-based and respectful; values diversity; and shows courage and independence
- Thinks critically: is objective and impartial; uses logical and analytical processes; distils the core of complex issues and weighs up options
- Applies expertise: actively applies relevant knowledge; has the skills and experience to contribute to decision-making
- Communicates constructively: is articulate, persuasive and diplomatic; is self-aware and reflects on personal impact and effectiveness; listens and responds constructively to contributions from others
- Focuses strategically: takes a broad perspective; can see the big picture; and considers long term impacts
- Collaborates in the interests of the scheme: is a team player; flexible and cooperative.
Remuneration/Payment: This is a voluntary position. Remuneration is not provided.
To be considered for appointment to this role, you will need to provide a brief CV/profile with past board/committee experience, qualifications (if any), and a little on your previous work history.
The closing date for this position is 5pm on Wednesday 6th September 2017.
Please send your application or direct any enquiries to Dr Stefanie Leung (firstname.lastname@example.org or 02 8738 9125).